I started 30 minutes early because DJ K-Smashballs, who was subbing the previous slot, insisted on getting to her job on time.
Herein is an Erik Satie set, which includes the Scavenger Quartet (led by Frank Pahl), Chicha Libre, and 2 pianists. I’m a novice Erik Satie fan, and I think that any time I hear a Satie cover, I’ll just add it to the Satie set and play the whole medley on the radio all over again. Speaking of which, would you consider pianists to be “cover artists”, playing music that they haven’t written?
My current hero = Christian Rudder, and I make no bones about it.
Stick with this til the end for some serious reverb action! Jim (our chief engineer and general operations manager at WCBN) brought a delay pedal to the station to test out (i.e., play with) the new setup he wired in the FM studio. Jim listened on the headphones and giggled nearby as I explored the reverb effects as best I could…
This one’s listener-approved!
Hear what it sounds like to be drunk and real high in the spirit of the Lord (1.5 hours):
Right-click or Command+click to download
I love that Freedom almost always provides a genius, seamless segue between our shows…Is this practic deliberate? I do not know.
Artist = “Song title”, Album title. [Notes.]
1. Hoor-Paar-Kraat = “Relics of the inheritance”, The eureka tapes: The complete recordings
2. Booka Shade with yello = “Divine”, More!
3. The Klezmorim = “Minnie the Moocher”, Jazz-babies of the Ukraine
4. Scavenger Quartet = “The velvet gentleman’s bowler”, Hats. [Erik Satie composition]
5. Eve Egoyan (on piano) = “Valse-ballet Op. 62 (c1885-6)”, Hidden corners (Recoins). [Erik Satie composition]
6. Michel Legrand (on piano) = “1^ere gymnopedie”, Erik Satie // Michel Legrand. [Erik Satie composition]
7. Chicha Libre = “Gnosienne no. 1”, !Sonido Amazonico! [Erik Satie composition]
8. Chicha Libre = “The ride of the valkyries”, Canibalismo
9. Psapp = “King Kong”, Tiger, my friend
10. Bishop Allen = “Things are what you make of them”, Charm school
11. Modest Mouse = “Willful suspension of disbelief”, Everywhere and his nasty parlour tricks
12. Klaus Nomi = “Nomi chant”, Klaus Nomi
13. Miss Murgatroid & Petra Haden = the third song, Hearts & daggers
14. The Raincoats = “Dance of the hopping mad”, moving
15. Robert Glasper Experiment (feat. Erykah Badu) = “Afro blue”, Black radio
16. Nneka = “Soul is heavy”, Soul is heavy
17. Ada Richards = “I’m drunk and real high (in the spirit of God)”, Born again funk
18. Untempered Ensemble = “Poverty is the father of fear”, Untempered Ensemble