This show contains copious amounts of bizarre jazz.
The show begins with lots of music from all over the world, all danceable.
Do you hear that? During a long guitar solo, I played around with some records in the studio. The long guitar solo came from a CD, while the odd sounds–chords of some sort–mixed with the guitar. That was me, interrupting the guitar solo at random intervals by playing tiny snippets of a record on which Art Tatum tinkled at the piano keys.
Later on, you can hear what it would’ve sounded like if Art Tatum had used 30 fingers to play the piano.
There’s a lot of great poetry in this show, including Allen Ginsberg, arwulf arwulf, and Ken Nordine.
Right-click or Command+click to download
Artist = “Song title”, Album title. [Notes.]
1. Youssou N’Dour = “Set”, Set. [Senegal]
2. Chancha Via Circuito = “Prima”, Future sounds of Buenoas Aires. [Argentina]
3. La Chiva Gantiva = “Cosmeticos”, Pelao. [Recorded in France, mixed in Colombia, mastered in UK, Caribbean + African instruments!]
4. MC Solaar = “La musique adoucit les moeurs”, Qui seme le vente récolte le tempo. [France]
5. Mr. Ebbo = “Mi mmasai (remix)”, Bongo flava: Swahili rap from Tanzania
6. Important = “Origin”, Sembeh ma fa fe: Revisits volume. [Guinea]
7. Seu Jorge = “Chatterton”, Cru. [Brazil]
8. Jack de Johnette & Foday Musa Suso = “Ocean wave”, Music from the hearts of the masters
9. Matt Haimovitz with the Pittsburgh Collective Big Band = “Scherzo Grosso (part 3)”, Vinyl cello
10. Big Satan = “Deadpan”, souls.savedhear
11. New And Used = “Cows”, Souvenir
12. Allen Ginsberg (with Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, et al.) = “Complaint of the skeleton to time”, The lion for real
13. Jonathan Richman = “I eat with gusto, damn! you bet”, Jonathan Richman
– mixed with –
14. Otto Luening = “Invention in twelve notes (1952)”, Pioneers of electronic music
15. arwulf arwulf and the sonnenlicht project = “Turtle peace”, Reproductive rights for all women
16. Frank Pahl & Klimperei = “Dainties”, Music for desserts
17. Ken Nordine = “Maroon”, Colors
18. Art Tatum = several tracks from several volumes of Solo Masterpieces. [all mixed together; 30 fingers playing the piano]
19. Mice Parade = “The lonely lounge piano player’s lost in his little world”, Ramda
20. Joe Zawinul & the Zawinul Syndicate = “Zanza II”, 75
21. Afel Bocoum, Damon Albarn, Toumani Diabate and Friends = “Spoons”, Mali music
22. Gilberto Gil e Jorge Ben = “Nega”, Gil e Jorge